Friday, March 13, 2009

3.12 Massacre

We all knew this is coming, but didn't expect the scale to be this big! Company announced that they're gonna cut 1725 jobs out of the work force of 6800. That's 25% cut, 1 out of every 4. That was announced on 3/11 evening (HK time). I stayed online to get the latest info from colleagues in the US. One by one, I heard that my ex-group of 15 now only have 4 left... BG, the one who spoiled me and gave me confidence got hit too! Can't believe he's gone... I fell asleep, woke up 4 hours later and went to work. It's Asia's turn.

3/12, got in the office, first we got news from Science Park design center, where I used to work just 6 months ago. The WHOLE team was gone! All 9 of them! One of them were my really good friend. So sad to know that all of them are leaving. Then One more from the other team. Then we heard from the Taiwan office, another 9 of them got affected! Then news from other sites, adding up to 28 of them. My office was still very quiet before lunch time. We all went to lunch, thinking "it shouldn't be that bad for us." Once we stepped into the office, T got called into a conference room right away. SHOCKED! Then B, and R! OMG!! Two of them sat right in front of me! Tears started to run down on my chics. When R came out, with a smile, I felt even worse! Just when I thought that my row should all be safe after T & R got hit, F got called. SHOCKED!!! All 3 ladies who sat in front of me got called! and it's not over yet, V, S, T, & C got called one by one... a lot of sobbing noises in the office. I couldn't take it anymore. Tried very hard to hide my sobbing face, until I realized everyone else was crying with me. It's really sad to see my colleagues being called into the conference room one by one. Then came out sobbing and packing... I walked up to R & F, didn't know what to say... asked if I could help them with anything... Meanwhile, good-bye emails from other sites started to fill my email inbox... A total of 41 employees were gone in Asia Pac within a day...



3/13, being a survivor feels even worse than being let go. Coming in to work this morning, facing all the empty seats in front of me, spirit hits all time low. I'm glad that Kendra is still here with me. If not, I don't think I'd have any reason to stay. Training on my new job responsibility to share the extra workload from R & F all day. Then around 6pm, another good-bye email hit my inbox! Can't believe L is leaving too!! I thought who should have been gone were all gone by Thursday. It's way too much to handle! L stayed til today so that she could finish up all the aftermath. I walked into L's office and gave her a hug.

May all of us find peacefulness in our heart.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

very sorry to hear about your work buddies have left the company! i hope they will find a new job soon!

加油珍娜米素!!

Anonymous said...

Don't know what to say....Hope you'll be doing fine.
I understand your "survivor's guilt". It sucks. But that's Corporate America.
Life moves on.
Add Oil!

e.w.

Jenna Michelle said...

thank you reb & e.w.!

DOUBLECHIN™ said...

there'll be a better tmr!! lets hv faith :)

anf said...

Several years I been through similar experience.. it was really shocking at that moment.. and helpless