Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Mallow & Me

It was a warm spring day back in February 2002. We decided to visit the Humane Society just for the heck of it. Before we walked in, we said to each other,

"what if we find a dog we like?"

"No way! We can't take care of a dog. My mom would kill us if she knows that we're keeping a dog in her property!"

"Right, and we can't really take care of anything anyway!"



We visited the cats kennel first, and I was sneezing like a water fountain. Then we saw rabbits, hamsters, and other animals that didn't caught my attention. Then we walked into the dogs kennel area. Those dogs were barking like crazy except one. This little pupple were just sitting at the end of its kennel under that warm sun!

"Come here puppy!"

And it shot to the other end of the kennel and smiled at me. Right there and then, I fell in love with it! Then it ran back under the sun.
"Come here come here!"

It ran back the this end again and back, and then again. I forgot how many times did it ran back and forth, but it came to me everytime I called.



Then we moved on to see other dogs. Walked through the whole place and back to this little puppy again.

"It looks a bit like your Mr. Bear*!"
"You think so too??" *Mr Bear is my teddy bear that I've been sleeping with since I was 4.




"Do you wanna take her home?"
"What?"
"Take her if you really want to."
"WHATTT??"



Right there and then, I made the best decision of my life.
"Let's take her home!"



We talked to the Humane Society lady for about an hour. Get to know what I was doing-- adopting a dog for life! Since puppy was less than 6 months old, I needed to take her to training classes and get her trained. Got a bunch of reading material from them. Bought puppy a collar, picked her up from her spay operation, and then we went home. She was still drowsy from the operation when we got home. We put her in a paper box and spent our first nite together. Her name is Mallow. Mallow So =)



Michelle house-trained Mallow. Michelle took Mallow to puppy kindergarden. Mallow bites other dogs. Mallow got separated while other puppies get their off lash time. Mich was sitting in the corner with Mallow while she was being separated. Mallow loves squeaky toys. Mallow broke a squeaky toy. Michelle threw the broken toy away. Tears dropped from Mallow's big brown eyes after Michelle threw the toy away! Mallow loved fetching with tennis balls. Mallow ran in the backyard everyday. Michelle got a giant plastic pool from Costco and placed it in the middle of the backyard. Mich & Mallow swam in the plastic pool. Mallow was scared of water and scratched Michelle in the pool. They never got back in the pool again after the very first and only time. Molds were growing in the pool. Mich drained the water from the pool and it took a day to empty the giant pool.



Time flies.



Mich moved back to HK in the summer of 2006. Mich brought Mallow to HK. No more backyard. No more fetching everyday. No more green grass. No more barking at the mail man. Michelle often comes home late after she moves back to HK. No matter how late Michelle comes home, Mallow would always be waiting. She'd always be wagging her tails when Mich comes thru the door, jumps up on two feet and gives her a kiss. Mallow loves Mich everyday of her life. Sorry that Mich took all your joy away. Just want you to know that you're the joy of my life!




Mallow & Mr. Bear. Feb 2009

9 comments:

DOUBLECHIN™ said...

best blogpost to-date! luv it!

Anonymous said...

very sweet and loving relationship between you and Mallow! She is cute, how old is she now?

Jenna Michelle said...

Chin,
Thanks! Finally a real blogpost with words. I thot "亞燦的故事"wasn't too bad either? Heh!

Reb,
Mallow is 7.5 now. She sleeps a lot more than before, but still very young at heart! :)

C+ said...

MALLOW YOU R SO SO ADORABLE!!! do you walk her often?

Jenna Michelle said...

sad to say, no. I don't walk her that often, but she get walked twice a day. I'm a bad mom!

PK Lai said...

So sweet~! Love your post! And btw, Mallow IS adorable!!

Anonymous said...

hey! I really can't sleep tonight!!!
I went pass SPCA in CWB today, they have a cheap carpark right next door, perhaps you can take Mallow out for a walk in Wanchai dog park sometimes....

Jenna Michelle said...

PKLai,
Thanks TB/BB!

imy,
Yeah, brought Mallow there a few times. Should go there again soon!

Anonymous said...

I miss Mallow. She recoginise me every time I see her. I remember playing fetch with her in the backyard. Damn, I want my own dog.

Anson